After the Civil War, the United States had to recover from war, handle western expansion, and grapple with very new economic forms. However, its greatest issues would revolve around the legacies of slavery and increasing diversity in the decades after the Civil War. Reconstruction was partly a period of military occupation of the south by the northern victors. Former slaves now had freedom and new opportunities but faced old prejudices and rapidly forming new barriers. Immigrants from Europe and Asia came in large numbers but then faced political and social restrictions. Women continued to seek rights. Yet, on the whole, America became increasingly diverse by the 1920s. Consider developments, policies, and laws in that period from 1865 to the 1920s. Take one of the positions as suggested below, draw from the sources listed, and present a paper with specific examples and arguments to demonstrate the validity of your position.
Possible position—in each case you can take the pro or con position:
- The Lost Cause narrative of the South effectively sabotaged and influenced racial policy in the US for most of the post-Civil War period. (or you can take the position that it did not)
- Political policies in the decades after the Civil War generally promoted diversity and “the melting pot” despite the strong prejudices of a few. (or you can take the position that political policies did not)
- Reform movements between 1865 and 1930, like the Progressives and the agrarian populists, generally led the way to increased democracy. (or you can take the position that these movements did not)
After giving general consideration to your readings so far and any general research, select one of the positions above as your position—your thesis. (Sometimes after doing more thorough research, you might choose the reverse position. This happens with critical thinking and inquiry. Your final paper might end up taking a different position than you originally envisioned.). Organize your paper as follows, handling these issues:
- The position you choose (from the list above)—or something close to it—will be the thesis statement in your opening paragraph.
- To support your position, use three specific examples from different decades between 1865 and 1930. You may narrowly focus on race or gender or immigrant status, or you may use examples relevant to all categories.
- Explain why the opposing view is weak in comparison to yours.
- Consider your life today: In what way does the history you have shown shape or impact issues in your workplace or desired profession?
Source List for Assignment 1:
Be sure to use the Schultz text as a source. Use at least two of the other sources listed here. Some sources are “primary” sources from the time period being studied. Some sources below can be accessed via direct link or through the primary sources link on Blackboard. Each week has a different list of primary sources. For others, they are accessible through the Library tab to the left of the screen in Blackboard—once in there, you may do a “keyword” search of the article title.
APA Reference for the textbook – Schultz, Kevin M. (2018). HIST5: Volume 2: U.S. History Since 1865 (Student edition). Boston: Cengage.
Choose sources relevant to the topic and position you are taking:
- Abu-Laban, Y., & Lamont, V. (1997). Crossing borders: Interdisciplinary, immigration and the melting pot in the American cultural imaginary. Canadian Review of American Studies, 27(2), 23-43.
- Black Testimony on the aftermath of enslavement. (1866). Report of the Joint Committee on Reconstruction. Retrieved from http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/black_testimony.htm
- Chinese Exclusion Act. (1882). Retrieved from http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/chinese_exclusion_act.htm
- Davis, J. C. Bancroft. (1896). Plessy vs. Ferguson. Retrieved from http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/plessy_ferguson_1896.htm
- Fitzgerald, M. W. (2018, Jan.). Terrorism and racial coexistence in Alabama’s Reconstruction. Alabama Review, 71(1), 7-24. [accessible through Library tab; keyword search the article title; get the .pdf file of the article]
- Foster, G. M. (2002, Feb. 24). The Lost Cause. Shotgun’s Home of the Civil War. Retrieved from http://civil-war-journeys.org/the_lost_cause.htm
- Harjo, S. S. (1996). Now and then: native peoples in the United States. Dissent (00123846).
- Meacham, J. (2017). Our historical ambivalence about immigrants is a great American paradox. Time, 189(5), 23.
- The Lost Cause. Civil War Journeys. Retrieved from http://civil-war-journeys.org/the_lost_cause.htm
- Mississippi Black code. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/122/recon/code.html
- Moody, W. G. (1883). Bonanza Farming and its impact. Retrieved from http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/bonanza_farming_impact.htm
- Parsons, E. F. (2011, Feb.). Klan Skepticism and denial in Reconstruction-Era public discourse.
- Journal of Southern History, 77(1), 53-90. [accessible through Library tab; keyword search the article title; get the .pdf file of the article]
- Populist Party Platform. (1896). Retrieved from http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/populist_partyplatform_1896.htm
- Schultz, Kevin M. (2014) HIST: Volume 2: U.S. history since 1865 (3rd ed.). University of Illinois at Chicago: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.
- Sinclair, Upton. (1906). Attack on the Meatpackers. Retrieved from http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/attack_meatpackers.htm
- In your own words, what creates Earthquakes? ( 200 word minimum)
In your own words, briefly describe how a black hole forms.
In your own words, explain why Pluto was “demoted” to a dwarf planet.
In your own words, contrast terrestrial and Jovian planets.
What is the most accurate method to calculate the distance to the stars? What are the limitations of this method? What are some other ways to estimate stellar distances? What unit of measurement is most commonly used to describe the distances between stars and/or galaxies? How does knowing the distance help classify a star?
DQ UNIT VII 200 WORDS
When comparing tornadoes and hurricanes, which do you consider more destructive and why? You might compare how they differ in size, speed, predictability, or damage. Have you ever experienced either? Describe your experience.
DQ UNIT VIII 200 WORDS
Top of Form
Part I: It has been stated that we know more about the surface of the moon than we do the oceans. Compare what you have learned in Unit V with this Unit. Do you think, as a nation, we should invest more resources in space exploration or in ocean exploration? Why? Support your answer.
Part II: Briefly describe one thing (from discussion boards, assessments, or readings) you learned in this class that will probably stick with you for a long time. Was there a topic that you struggled with?
Human Resource class
UNIT VII DQ-200 WORDS
1. Ensuring employee safety should be an organizational priority, not only from a legal standpoint but also an ethical standpoint. When an employee is injured at work, it can invoke several different employment laws depending on the employer, such as: OSHA, ADA, FMLA, and workers’ compensation. HR professionals are put to the test when such injuries occur as balancing these areas can be difficult, and regrettably work injuries, despite safety measures put in place, occur. Sometimes, however, injuries happen due to disregard to the safety rules or for not reporting a potentially unsafe condition. How can organizations encourage employees to follow the safety rules and minimize work injuries? Be specific in your response.
UNIT VIII DQ-200 WORDS
2,. Throughout this course we explored many aspects of HRM, and none draws more heartburn for HR professionals than compensation and benefits. Let’s be honest, for most of us the reason we work is that we need the money and/or benefits. Compensation practices have a simple history: the organization pays as little as it can while the employee tries to earn as much as he or she can. This very struggle helped give rise to unions.
But today’s workforce is more complex than ever. We now refer to compensation and benefits as Total Rewards. Research has proven that for many employees, money isn’t everything because although money is needed to survive, at some point it begins to lose its motivational value for myriad of reasons. In this way, HR professionals can interpret total rewards to mean more than just compensation and benefits and divide the system between extrinsic and intrinsic values. For this final discussion, if money is not the chief motivator, what other extrinsic and intrinsic values can HR professionals recommend to leadership to help attract and retain a quality workforce?
- Assignment Files
Some people you know say they don’t believe that the climate is changing. After completing this week’s readings, how would you respond?
Write a 525- to 700-word response including:
- How scientists learn about past global temperatures and climates
- The greenhouse effect
- Greenhouse gases and their role in current climate change
- One piece of data scientists offer to show that the climate is changing globally
- see this NASA website: http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
- Expected impacts of climate change in your area
- see the EPA’s January 2017 snapshot by state: https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/climate-impacts/climate-change-impacts-state_.html
Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
This week you will write a paper on the potential public health impacts of climate change on different parts of the world. Many experts predict that climate change will impact different parts of the world in different ways. Some areas of the world may see increased periods of drought while others may experience increased periods of flooding (IPCC, 2007).
In addition, developing countries will most likely be impacted more severely than developed countries (United Nations Development Program [UNDP], n.d.).
Using the Argosy University online library resources and reliable Internet resources, prepare a paper on three of the most important examples of how climate change will impact public health. Be sure to address the following:
- Examine how the outcomes from climate change on public health will differ between developed and developing countries.
- Describe what the future will be like for these public health issues as climate change becomes more severe.
- Explain the mitigation and response plans in place to ameliorate the effects of these changes.
- Assess the feasibility of these plans. If you could design a plan to address this issue, would it differ from current plans? If so, how?
Be sure to support your positions with scholarly references—including a reference list—and appropriate examples.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By the due date assigned, deliver your assignment to the Submissions Area.
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). (2007). IPCC fourth assessment report: Climate change 2007 (AR4). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press. Retrieved from
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). (n.d.). Environment and energy: Climate change and CDM. Retrieved from
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria
Appropriately selected three of the most important examples of how climate change will impact public health.
Adequately evaluated the three examples in terms of their outcomes, the future of these issues, and mitigation and response plans.
Assessed the feasibility of the mitigation and response plans, including a recommendation to improve the existing plans.
Supported statements with scholarly references and appropriate examples.
Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Regardless of ideology, scientific evidence suggests that the climate is changing and humans may contribute to this change (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [IPCC], 2007). Climate changes are predicted to have an enormous impact on the environment and global health, both directly and indirectly.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) maintains a Web site that discusses the impacts of these changes.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). (2017). Climate change—Health and environmental effects: Health. Retrieved from https://health2016.globalchange.gov/
Using the links and Search feature on the EPA Web site listed above, select what you think is the most important issue that your generation needs to address—for example, agriculture and food supply or forests.
Using the readings for this module, the Argosy University online library resources, and in particular the above link, respond to the following:
- Identify the generation that you are from, for example, baby boomer, generation X, or . >>
- Examine how the issue that you selected affects public health directly or indirectly. How did your generation contribute to this issue?
- Briefly summarize how this issue came about. Explain what is predicted to happen as climate change continues with respect to the issue you have chosen. If you chose climate change as your issue, then discuss the predicted impact on health.
- Research how this issue is currently being addressed. Do you think this is a good strategy, or can this issue be addressed in a better way?
Support your statements with scholarly and credible references as well as appropriate examples.
Define the following terms. Your definitions must be in your own words; do not copy them from the textbook.
After you define each term, describe in 40 to 60 words the health care setting in which each term would be applied. Include at least 2 research sources to support your position—one from the University Library and the other from the textbook. Cite your sources in the References section according to APA guidelines.
How it is Used in Health Care
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
Electronic medical record
Electronic health record
Computerized provider order entry system
Unique patient identifier
Protected health information
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Health information exchange
In this assignment, you will submit a research plan for a public health department to investigate a possible crisis and recommend a public health response to this potential crisis. Directions: Read through the following Centervale scenario and investigate the linkages between the health and illness problems in Centervale and the water supplies and waste disposal services. You must consider the full public health impact of the landfill situation and the water supply policies. Centervale’s Landfill Facility Centervale’s landfill facility has accepted, with the town’s approval, contaminated soil from the Middle Earth Energy Corporation. The landfill is located above ground and the operators plan on selling the soil to small farms in the county. The soil is known to be contaminated with polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and lead that exceed the limits set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). In the past, the EPA has discovered several leaks in the landfill’s liner. The landfill is located above the town’s main aquifer, which supplies well water to 10,000 residents who live in either Simon or Diamond Townships. In Taylor Township, 750 residents use both well water and Metropolis water for small farms. The other residents only use well water. Part 1: Research Plan Design a detailed 4–5-page plan to research the impact of these services on the community’s health. Your plan must diagram or otherwise specify the steps from research to risk assessment and propose a plan for risk management. In your plan, include the following: 1.Identify the potential crisis and use that information to develop a clearly stated research objective. 2.Identify the data that must be collected and justify the purpose of collecting the data. 3.Identify possible collaborators in data collections. 4.Identify and justify the type of studies that need to be designed. 5.Predict any barriers to conducting research. Use your textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet to conduct research. Cite all the sources. Organize the information in a logical structure. Support your ideas with research information and reasons. Consider important alternatives and explain why you select a particular one. You may use your previous assignments for justification of your plan. Part 2: Response Plan Consider the full public health impact of the event and how your research will be applied. Design a 4–5-page detailed set of recommendations for action to remove or minimize risk to Centervale citizens, including the following: 1.Describe and justify the persons or agencies that must be contacted. 2.Identify possible collaborators in reducing risk, and explain what they can do to reduce the risk. 3.Justify the expense (i.e., time, labor, equipment, or money) each collaborator would incur by explaining how their action would result in benefits. 4.Describe and justify the type of monitoring that would be needed. 5.Predict any barriers to implementing your interventions. Use your textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet to conduct research. Cite all the sources. Organize the information in a logical structure. Support your recommendations with research information and reasons. Consider important alternatives and explain why you select a particular one. Recommendations for this assignment: To prepare the health plan, you may begin with an outline with two levels of headings. For each heading and subheading, describe the information you plan to include in 1–2 sentences. You may contact your facilitator with an outline of your plan before submitting the final paper before the final assignment is due. You should utilize at least 5 scholarly sources beyond the course readings in your research. Your paper should be written in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Write an 8–10-page report in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M5_A2.doc. For example, if your name is John Smith, your document will be named SmithJ_M5_A2.doc. By the due date assigned, deliver your assignment to the Submissions Area. LASA Grading Criteria Assignment 3 Grading Criteria Maximum Points Research objective(s) is clearly stated and justifies the purpose of collecting data. The nature of data that must be collected is identified. 28 Identify possible collaborators in data collections. 24 Identify and justify the type of studies that need to be designed. 20 Predict any barriers to conducting research. 24 Design and recommend an intervention. 28 Describe and justify the persons or agencies that must be contacted. Identify possible collaborators in reducing risk, and explain what they can do to reduce the risk. 28 Justify the expense (i.e., time, labor, equipment, or money) each collaborator would incur by explaining how their action would result in benefits. 28 Describe and justify the type of monitoring that would be needed. 24 Predict any barriers to implementing your interventions. 24 Academic Writing Write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources (i.e., APA); and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. 72 Total: 300