Answer the following questions:
- Calculating the future value of property. Ben Collins plans to buy a house for $220,000. If that real estate is expected to increase in value by 3 percent each year, what will its approximate value be seven year from now?
- Using the Rule of 72. Using the rule of 72, approximate the following amounts:
- If the value of land in an area is increasing 6 percent a year, how long will it take for property values to double?
- If you earn 10 percent on your investments, how long will it take for your money to double?
- At an annual interest rate of 5 percent, how long will it take for your savings to double?
- Determining the inflation rate. In 2006, selected automobiles had an average cost of $16,000. The average cost of those same automobiles is now $28,000. What was the rate of increase for these automobiles between the two time periods?
- Computing the Time Value of Money. Using time value f money tables, calculate the following:
- The future value of $450 six years from now at 7 percent.
- The future value of $900 saved each year for 10 years at 8 percent.
- The amount a person would have to deposit today (present value) at a 6 percent interest rate to have $1,000 five years from now.
- The amount a person would have to deposit today to be able to take out $600 a year for 10 years from an account earning 8 percent.
- Calculating the Present Value of a Series. Pete Morton is planning to go to graduate school in a program of study that will take three years. Pete wants to have $15,000 available each year for various school and living expenses. If he earns 4 percent on his money, how much must be deposited at the start of his studies to be able to withdraw $15,000 a year for three years?
- Determining a Loan Payment Amount. If you borrow $8,000 with a 5 percent interest rate, to be repaid in five equal yearly payments, what would be the amount of each payment? (Note: Use the present value of an annuity table.)
Shelby Johnson has a flair for grooming dogs and cats. She hopes to open her own pet salon when she graduates from college. She is currently completing her sophomore year in business while working at a local pet store. Shelby has been living with a roommate (Melinda) in an apartment near her work in order to reduce her living expenses. However, she continually uses her credit card to make ends meet.
Her personal property consists of a 2005 car ($5,550) that gets great gas mileage, a television set with a DVD player ($400), a digital camera ($50), a laptop computer ($400), clothing ($300), and some furnishings valued at $600 (bed, dresser, lamp, clock, couch) with a total value of $7,300.
Shelby’s life situation: Single, Age 21, No dependents, College student
Shelby’s financial data: Monthly income $1,750; Living expenses $1,210; Personal property $7,300; Savings $2,000; Student loan $3,000; Credit card debt $2,400.
- Given her current situation, list various personal financial decisions that Shelby may be considering at this point in her life.
- Describe what short-term, intermediate and long-term goals Shelby should develop using the “Setting Personal Financial Goals” sheet located at the back of the text.
- What types of time value of money calculations would be helpful for Shelby?
eActivity: Read the articles: “Wal-Mart Japan to focus on remodeling stores, no plans to exit market.” Located at http://www.reuters.com/article/us-wal-mart-japan-idUSKCN0WH0MD and “Walmart aims for Japan turnaround” located at http://www.campaignasia.com/article/walmart-aims-for-japan-turnaround/407980
From the e-Activity, assuming you are currently a store manager at Walmart and due to your fluency in the Japanese language, the company has assigned you to manage one of their Seiyu-brand stores in Japan. Determine the skills, strengths, or qualities that you possess, relative to the seven (7) dimensions of the Global Leadership and Organizational Behavior Effectiveness (GLOBE) Model, that would help you successfully manage your store. Predict two (2) cultural differences that may challenge your current management style, and suggest the key actions that could help you address them.
Imagine that your friend Teresa have worked in several capacities in different departments within her present company. This week, her company has promoted her from department manager to CEO, just as it begins to participate in international business. Devise at least five (5) rules that address conflict of interest for Teresa within this new context. Provide a rationale for your response.
Visit a fast food restaurant, coffee shop, or grocery store during a peak time of day. Spend 30 minutes observing the procedures in place to serve and process customers. Keep track of how long each process takes.
Write a 3 page analysis of your observations. Make sure that you answer the following:
- How would you measure the efficiency of the process?
- What are the key design principles that govern the effectiveness of this process?
- Did you observe lag times in the process?
- What part of the process was the slowest?
- What part of the process was the fastest?
- What changes to the process would you recommend?
Be sure to use correct spelling and punctuation.
Mini Case 1
Assume that you recently graduated and have just reported to work as an investment advisor at the brokerage firm of Balik and Kiefer Inc. One of the firm’s clients is Michelle DellaTorre, a professional tennis player who has just come to the United States from Chile. DellaTorre is a highly ranked tennis player who would like to start a company to produce and market apparel she designs. She also expects to invest substantial amounts of money through Balik and Kiefer. DellaTorre is very bright, and she would like to understand in general terms what will happen to her money. Your boss has developed the following set of questions you must answer to explain the U.S. financial system to DellaTorre.
- Why is corporate finance important to all managers?
- Describe the organizational forms a company might have as it evolves from a start-up to a major corporation. List the advantages and disadvantages of each form.
- How do corporations go public and continue to grow? What are agency problems? What is corporate governance?
- What should be the primary objective of managers?
- Do firms have any responsibilities to society at large?
- Is stock price maximization good or bad for society?
- Should firms behave ethically?
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. Please see rubric.
Use the Project Charter Checklist for expert tips and advice on how to create a Project Charter.
At a project’s initiation, management and stakeholders authorize and approve the work to be done. This process often takes the form of a project charter, which can be either an informal document or a formal contract. In both cases, key stakeholders should sign the document to indicate their approval.
In this assignment, you create a project charter for your Project Plan. Follow these instructions:
1. Use the Project Charter Template to guide your work.
2. Use the Project Charter Checklist for expert tips and advice on how to create a project charter.
3. Refer to the Project Charter Scoring Guide to learn how the instructor will evaluate your charter.
4. Submit your charter in the assignment area.
After implementing the instructor’s feedback, as appropriate, you will include your charter in the final Project Plan submission, as indicated in the course project description.
Project Charter Scoring Guide.
Project Charter Template.
Project Charter Presentation | Transcript.
All consumers and firms affect sustainability in different ways, either directly or indirectly. In practicing sustainability, a firm could create value for consumers, investors, and other stakeholders, such as the community in which the firm operates within its value chain. In addition, a firm engaging in good sustainable practices can fulfill the needs of its customers, earn a profit, and preserve the environment. This assignment will allow you, as a consumer, to explore how you can impact sustainability.
Propose a sustainability investment plan to improve the performance of your work group or organization or an organization you hope to work for. The investment can be made in human resources, in expansion of tangible or intangible assets toward new uses, or in capital equipment or new technology.
Analyze how the investment plan achieves the following:
- Contributes to the mission of the company
- Expands rewards for all major components of the value chain, which should include the company, employees, suppliers, and customers
- Generates wealth or value and is sustainable over time
- Evaluates and anticipates risks associated with the investment
Organize your work to create a 2- to 3-page professional memo in a Microsoft Word document outlining your investment plan to the director and an 8- to 10-slide Microsoft PowerPoint presentation script with complete endnotes explaining your recommendations to employees in your work group. Follow APA standards for citation of sources.